Monday 25 January 2010

SALE OF GOA

It is really unfortunate to know of Goans, actively engaging is the large scale of Goan Land to outsiders, to realise a life of luxury for themselves and their families. As a result of their selfish actions, Goa and majority of the population, have to bear the brunt of various related negative fall-outs e.g. (1) Garbage/Sewerage issues (2) Land/Water Contamination (3) Effect on basic water/electric supplies (3) Changes in Demography & resultant effect on Identity (5) Scarce land available for locals etc. It is a well known fact that capitalism cannot be allowed an in-discriminate spree; to affect the land & local populace negatively. These in-discriminate land sales which benefits the lifestyles of a privileged few, has to be stopped/restricted; these greedy individuals are in the process of selling their state, values, identity for greed/personal gains. To quote Mahatma Gandhi: ”There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for everyone's greed."

5 comments:

JoseManU said...

Congratulations to the people of Raia in particular and to all the people of Salcete in general for taking the bold and courageous steps in preventing the ugly heads of mega projects mushrooming in our beautiful Green Goa.

All the people of rest of Goa should follow the people of Salcete and stop this menace in the bud that would otherwise spell the doom of the beauty Mother Nature has given us.

José de Siolim

Unknown said...

The DLF proj coming up is a big scam and will doom Goa.DLF are cu throats and all out to make money at goans. Imagine a 700 apartment building coming up which will comprise of all outsiders and what will be the demographic change in goa.This will erode our culture totally. Why do they have to level the ground and cut the lush trees. Go back DLF this project is not supporting Goans and will fill all outsiders. PLEASE LEAVE US ALONE AND GO BACK. We do not need such mega projects which cost in the region of 70L and above which is beyond the means aof any goan. ONCE AGAIN PLEASE GO BACK

kaleon said...

Hi Arwin, I have been on Goanet for some time now, albeit not very vocal. I am goan, but born in Mumbai, lived in Bahrain and now in Dubai for the past 10 years. I bought a home in Goa many years ago as a preference to living in Mumbai. I love Goa and would love to do my bit for Goa. BUT, most of the time there is a lot of vocalising but no action. There are a few people who work to make a difference. and some who work to raise awareness. Most of the time, they get shouted down by the majority. When I asked if there was an opportunity to do something, I was asked which district I belonged to, and directed to restrict my volunteering to that area. If Goans are so divided among themselves then how do we solve our collective problems.
If something is to be done, then it is not more words but some action. For mining, migrant, construction problems to be resolved, there has to be a change in Government. A proper change not one where one chor changes seats with another in another game of musical chairs. I am willing to offer my help if needed, but not to vocalise but for action within reason, this being because I have a 10 year old daughter who needs me. So no wars and revolutions! :-)

kaleon said...

no comment arwin??? Typical Goan attitude! Do as I say not what I do!

Arwin Mesquita said...

Kaleon, I regret the in-ability for a timely response to all comments. As you will appreciate these are social causes we are fighting for with no profit motive. We all have limited time considering jobs, families etc and besides trying to give my views on this blog, I am also constantly writing to newspapers; besides other projects like signature campaigns and supporting local activists via various means; This is a little I do which I think is more than most overseas Goans; many suggestions are on my blog lke for eg. adopt your village concept; that is if you want to do what I do...