There is a famous saying “The Pen is mightier than the sword”. Non Resident Goans (NRG’s) like Rajan Parrikar, Freddy Fernandes, Mario Rodrigues, Rick Fernandes & others, write frequently to the Goan Newspapers, on saving Goa & its identity. However, time is running out and we need more impact; More NRG’s must, at least write frequently, to the local Goan media.
Many NRG’s are skeptical that letters have any impact, so let me argue the
(1) Many activists have told me that NRG letters not shape public opinion but also inspire these activists to carry on their fight for Goa, against the more powerful & well financed destructive lobbies, backed by a corrupt government. These activists at least need our moral support; which I must say, does work wonders!!
(2) Vested Interests spread false propaganda. The key to Saving Goa is mobilizing Goans via awareness. As more people write on facts & solutions, Goans will be better informed & more confident, to go for the Change!!
(3) Regular writing will undoubtedly fuel a VERY STRONG UNSTOPPABLE MOMENTUM
amongst Goans, to rise & speak/act.
(4) Surely lack of interest from Goans (particularly NRG’s) can de-motivate Activists in Goa.
(5) Minimum 30% of Goans are outside Goa, exposed to various new ideas & best practices around the Globe; can’t we contribute something back to Goa?
(6) Writing could be your first step to getting involved with the Goan cause; rather than doing absolutely nothing
(7) I firmly believe in the famous saying "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing - EDMUNDE BURKE".
Many Goans are quite successful overseas; please “NEVER FORGET WHERE YOU CAME FROM”; you now have a Golden Opportunity in your one lifetime, to give back & help your people/home, when they need you the most!! The choice is yours; allow Goa that you know to die or do something to save it!! I believe that with increasing number of Goans joining the effort, the hope of saving Goa & its identity will only increase!!
Arwin Mesquita (Abu Dhabi, UAE)